Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

The Oscars




Am I the only one who hasn't found a movie that's nominated that I enjoyed? Granted I haven't seen every movie that has been nominated, but usually there are a couple movies I am stoked to see win.

Maybe I need someone to explain this to me, but what was so good about the Hurt Locker? I found it tirelessly boring and very little character development. By the time the movie was halfway done, I still knew almost nothing about the main characters and had no interest in whether they lived or died in their job. Maybe it's because I'm not American and war isn't in my blood or a part of my society, but I really never felt connected to this movie. The acting was great though and so was the cinematography

Another movie I did not quite feel the love for was Precious. I felt this would have been better as a movie of the week. Again, the acting was great but come on how many movie of the week effects did this movie have: HIV, INCEST, OBESITY, CHILD ABUSE, DRUG ABUSE and worst of all MARIAH CAREY. Maybe it's just me, I wanted to like this movie and just couldn't...maybe it's also because the movie theater was FULL and I got stuck in the second row from the front lol and left with a sore neck.

Sigh...Avatar also didn't get me excited...well I was excited until I saw the movie which was BEAUTIFULLY filmed but the story was just atrocious and dull and obvious and I agree with the critics that think there were racist overtones (probably not intentional by the filmmakers) but still there.

I guess there was one film that pleasantly surprised me, but also disturbed me was Inglorious Basterds. I watched this movie with no expectations and left feeling like I watched a real piece of art. A lot of Tarantino movies end up too odd for me to enjoy, but this one really worked and the acting was just tremendous.

And my movie of the year is UP...one of my favorite movies of all time. If there was a list of movies that you had to see before you died, Up should be on there. Honest storytelling, beautiful music and screenplay and characters that you fall in love with and feel like you know. I know people that cried throughout the entire movie, even I had a moist eye (which is a rarity!).

I don't think there is a need to make predictions given that everyone is choosing the same winners. What does everyone think? Any Hurt Locker or Precious fans that care to explain the LOVE?